Steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.
I stopped making resolutions years ago. The last one I made was… to never make a resolution again. And THAT one has stuck. While failure isn’t usually a bad word to me (it just makes me try again) a failed resolution always bothered me. I never made a promise to my girls that I didn’t keep (I made few promises but when I did ~ it happened). So, why would I start out every New Year making a promise to myself that I probably wouldn’t keep? You know the ones:
- I’m going to lose those 40 pounds I gained during the holidays, by this Valentines Day. So I can gorge on candy…again.
- I’m going to start working out. Usually this involves lifting a glass of wine to my lips after a long day chasing around the livestock. You should see my right bicep.
- I will eat healthy. This was always an in-between one. A “feel better” promise since I detest eating processed foods (my body has terrible reactions) so even though I can derail by chomping on too many Non GMO Cool Salsa Verde chips, this was typically a no brainer.
- I will get organized. Ummm. Ya. Total. Fail.
- Make better financial decisions. You mean my 10th sewing machine was a bad idea? True story.
What I decided to do was pick a Word of the Year. It would be my theme. Like that theme song you have for yourself. Come on… you know what I’m talking about. Anyway, my Word of the Year is the thing that I can refer to when I need that bit of je ne sais quoi on life’s harder days.
Last year’s word was:
This year the word is:
Last year’s word guided me well. It was the year Mr. Bluejeans and I made our BIG move to middle Tennessee. We bought 60 acres of raw land and are in the process of developing our farm on it. Our kids and my mom decided to move onto the property with us. We ended up living in a 30′ camper with 3 of our 5 dogs and our daughter (who after living with us a few months found an adorable puppy so make that 4 dogs in our errr… cozy….camper). Yes, HUMOR was the word!
This January marked the time for me to choose a new word. It came easily. PERSEVERANCE.
Being an upstart homesteader is far from snatched… ya know slaying. Ok… cool. Being a homesteader doesn’t mean I’m not hip… LOL! Totally on fleek. Ya sis, I’m all over it… boots.
From trying to schedule a surveyor to quote our boundary lines, getting quotes for digging a well to finding someone willing to quote our driveway has
made me scratch my head thinking everyone is now independently wealthy and I missed the hand out line taught me to be steady in my course of action especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement. To coin a definition. What I’ve realized is… it’s ok. Sometimes the timing is off. Sometimes it’s just not meant to be. It’s ok. Just persevere.
What hardships have you had to work through?